Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Phew... These past few days have been not only extremely exciting, but very busy. I did make it home after a few delays. When I arrived at the ATL airport, they shut it down for a few hours due to the storm that was passing by. So this meant my flight was backed up and delayed for over 2 hours. Now I know two hours doesnt seem like a big deal, but when it the only thing keeping you from your family, it was the most painful 2 hours.
Those days in Monrovia were also pretty long. Each morning I had to wake up and make sure this wasnt all a dream. We are still completely in shock how fast it all went down.
I was sitting in the office when I received a phone call from Miss Hillary, Shannon's good friend that happened to be in town for a few days. She said Shannon's water had broke and they were headed to the hospital. From this first news, I was completely bummed out and sad... knowing I would miss the birth of my daughter. After a few minutes, and after talking to some family and friends, the priority swapped to making sure Shannon and the Baby were healthy.

Shannon and I had already prearranged some particulars incase she came while I wasnt there. She would call me on the way to the hospital and then I would call very hour or so to check up, knowing it normally takes a few hours to get the process going. So about an hour later I decided to call and check up to see how things were progressing. As soon as I got on the horn, Hillary said, "Ryan, we need to get skype set up now, because this baby is coming!!!" Of course, I started to go crazy and hurried and set up skype in the office. So I got it all set up and so did they. I watched for around 1 hour on skype before Leyton emerged. Shannon did such a great job. She didnt have to push for long. Leyton was ready to come out! It was pretty amazing, to say the least, to be able to watch it all unfold over the net. It almost felt like I was there. I guess better then nothing. For the next hour or so, they took the computer everywhere the baby went. I was able to watch them weigh her, get her footprints, measure her, wash her, etc. She was such a good little baby. Didnt cry or anything. The time on the net didnt last long for me becuase I had to catch my own helo flight from Gbarnga to Monrovia. I made sure everyone was alright, and was wisked away to the heliport by a teammate. It truly was amazing being able to skype in and see everything.
All of te flights were really long, but there was light at the end of the tunnel. I arrive in Lynchburg at 220pm on Monday and was greated by Shannon and Leyton. It was a very emotional time for us both. Absolutely amazing. Leyton was wide awake, as I think she sensed that Daddy was finally home.
The past few days have been great. LC is such a good kid. She is sleeping really well and eating great. She has had a few check-ups at the Dr. office to check her bilirubin levels, and those seem to be leveling out. She is also starting to put back on the weight that she lost. We truly have enjoyed every second with her. We can both just sit here for hours, watching every move and facial expression she makes. She is a keeper.
I will try to get back on here this afternoon and post some pictures. I know you are all waiting to see them

No comments:

Post a Comment