Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Cat's Tale

I can't remember where I heard the story, but it goes like this:  Some time back, folks used to keep cats in nursing homes.  The workers would watch the cats, and see which rooms they went into, because generally the people in those rooms would soon fall ill or even die.  The theory is that the cats were giving comfort to the sick and dying.
So why bring this up?  Two days ago, Panda began acting very strange.  She began following me from room to room, always purring and wanting to be close to me all day.  For some cats, this is not strange.  Panda, however, is not what one would call an affectionate cat.  She generally prefers to spend her days alone napping in a quiet place, only seeking people during dinner time and at night if she wants to curl up at the foot of the bed (which is why she has remained my cat for 8 years -because generally she leaves me alone).  She is not bugging anyone else in the house, only me.  And she has plenty of food, so she isn't hungry. 
So what is her problem?  My theory is she senses something is wrong with me, and feels compelled to comfort me, even though we really don't get along that well on a normal day.  So she has me thinking that either a) I am going into labor soon, or b) I am dying.  Hopefully she is wrong on both accounts, unless you count going into labor in 3 weeks 'soon' and then that is fine.  I do have one other theory... it is more of a conspiracy theory if you will:  she knows the stories of her ancestors and is just being nice to mess with my head (which is totally something she would do).
Here she is, hiding in my dresser, hoping I won't notice her trying to stay in my room to watch over me.


And here is Baby C's other big sister, Sasha, who is always sweet and attentive.

So I guess stay tuned to see if Panda's predictions are correct!


1 comment:

  1. Animals can sense things changing - maybe she just wants to comfort you during labor! Ginger used to lay her head on my belly and then head butt me in the stomach...not so loving, but she knew change was coming!

    ReplyDelete