Saturday, August 21, 2010

TIA (This is Africa)

Hello from Africa. I made it out to Monrovia with no issues. Flights were good, all my bags (4) made it, and I was able to spend 8 hours in Accra, Ghana. That was an interesting experience. I didn't think my bags were going to get out of that place but Ethiopian Airlines proved me wrong.
Saying goodbye to Shannon was probably one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Leaving a pregnant wife for 8 months in Africa wasn't something I thought would ever happen. I know she will be in great hands in VA.
So I arrived in Monrovia around 330pm yesterday (20 Aug). Luckily I met an American girl (from NJ) on the bus ride from the plane to the terminal. She lives here and was returning for work. She works with children here. So I kind of followed her lead through customs and through the terminal. It all went smoother then I originally thought. I was expecting the worse, but they stamped my passport and my visa and to the baggage claim I went. All my bags made it I met up with my boss and some other of the Americans that were there to pick me up.
For some background, there are a total of 9 American Officers out here. 5 of them are staff officers (so they work at the UN head quarters here in Monrovia) and 3 other military Observers (MILOBS). The MILOBS are the ones that live out at the "team sites" in the locations in Liberia. This is what I will be doing. So my team loaded up my bags onto the UN Nissan Patrols and off we went. It is about a 1 hr drive on the "road" back to Monrovia. Since I have been to Africa before, what I saw on the drive wasn't that much of a shock. From people using the road as a restroom, monkeys riding on their owners' back while they drove a motorcycle, and 2/3 of a crashed bus sticking out of the swamp, I am pretty sure there is more to see. It was a nice drive though.... You know in the USA where there is always nice scenery, calm drivers, beautiful vegetation and picturesque views, well, it is nothing like that. It actually reminded me of the Florida everglades. I will have to comment on the driving later... because it is atrocious.
So we got into Monrovia and they took me straight to the "Casablanca." This is where I will be staying for the next few weeks. Before they send me out in the field, I have to go through the UN indoctrination, briefs, meetings, lectures, and a driving test. The 5 staff officers that are here share a place at the Casablanca. Their place is a 2-story, 5 bedroom/ 3 bathroom apt. I will be living here for the next few weeks and will keep some of my personal items here while I'm in the field. All the MILOBS keep a place back in Monrovia as a "crash pad" for when we are able to come back to town to recharge the batteries. So I will be calling Casablanca "home" for the next 9 months. It has running water, cable, internet and A/C. My room used to be the laundry room because there are washer and dryer connections. It will have to do. I have a cot.... and that is it.
Today they are taking me to do some shopping for some items for the room and they will be taking me to the embassy to check me in. This weekend was unique because all 9 of the US officers were back in Monrovia. They had a medal ceremony yesterday and everyone had to be back for that. So all 9 of us went out to Mamba point to have dinner. So far, everyone seems great.
One thing that has not changed from me being back in the states is that I also have a housekeeper/maid here. :)
Pictures and more to follow....

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ry, So good to hear from you! Can't wait to read more. McKinley says 'hi'. Love you, Son

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan, Do you have an APO/FPO address? I'll be happy to MPS stuff your way!!!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete