Yesterday I had a happy, 35th birthday. I didn't do anything special, just hung out with my girls. Ryan is away all week for a work-related trip back to San Diego, so we are on our own again. We also celebrated Setsubun yesterday. According to the internet: Setsubun is the day preceding risshun that is the first day of spring according to the old Japanese calendar, or the so-called lunar calendar. On the day of Setsubun, there is the custom of throwing roasted soybeans while chanting "In with Fortune! Out with Evil" in order to prevent evil ogres from entering one's house. It is believed that the ogres are warded off by throwing beans, and that good fortune will then come to one's home. On this day, events with entertainers and athletes are held at shrines all over the country. According to Japanese tradition, if you eat the same number of beans as your age, you will enjoy a year of good health.
Last week, Leyton brought home a box full of dried beans and an ogre mask, so I did a little googling. Apparently, at Japanese schools, a teacher will dress up as an 'oni' and all the kids throw beans at them for good luck. You are also suppose to eat the number of beans for the number of years of your age. I did not eat 35 beans yesterday. I did eat a few -they don't taste bad- while Leyton and I took turns being 'oni'. If I have bad luck this year, we all know why.
It has been cold here, and it snows about once a week. Usually just a couple of inches. They are predicting more snow for tomorrow. So far, Leyton's school hasn't been canceled due to weather. I admire the Japanese disregard for weather. Typhoons and snow storms, no big deal, still gotta go to work and school.
 |
| This is a random picture of Leyton fishing. We were at the park on base one day, and a friend from her school was there fishing with her family. They let Leyton hold the pole. She thought it was fun for about 30 seconds. |
 |
| This was Leyton's winter break homework (she doesn't generally have homework, only over spring, summer and winter break). She was supposed to draw a picture in each box. Instead, she wrote her name. This was a GIANT shock because she has zero interest in practicing her letters. We often ask her to and it "makes her a little fussy". I don't push it. She has time before she will be forced to learn them at school. She knows how to spell her name and she can recognize it, but I had no clue she could write it. She did it without prompting and without looking at it written out elsewhere. Smart little stinker. She has absolutely REFUSED to write it since. |
 |
| Leyton modeling some new duds she got for Christmas. Don't worry. We didn't let her out of the house without putting a shirt on underneath. |
 |
| Random temple near our hotel in Tokyo from our trip a few weeks ago. |
 |
| Also a few weeks ago, Ellis had her first day of 'practice school.' She went to class for about 45 minutes while I went to a parent's meeting. Ellis did wonderful. She went right into the class without crying and she was dancing around when I came to pick her up. And she kept her panties dry. She has been a total rock star with potty training. The first couple of days where a little rough, but as soon as she realized she got a chocolate chip for going potty, she was totally on board. I will certainly jinx it, but she hasn't had an accident all this week. She only wears a diaper to bed, nap, and if we are going to be gone for more than a couple of hours. Well done, Ellis! |
 |
| I was worried that because she is so young, she would be really small compared to the other kids. Other than being the only Caucasian in her class, she fit right in. |
 |
| She had a blast playing on the playground afterwards. |
 |
| I think she is really excited to be going to school like her sister. And I am beyond excited myself. I feel a little guilty that I am not even a little sad about my baby going to school. After all, it's preschool, not college. And the thought of 5 hours a day, five days a week, all to myself... oh what fun. I will explore Japan, get into a consistent exercise routine, take some Japanese language classes, and then there is the never-ending supply of housework and cooking to do. Nope.. not even a little sad. |
 |
| Leyton has her school spring performance this Saturday. Ryan will be gone, so I will have Ellis with me, so I will probably miss most of it. But I purchased the DVD. She has been practicing her song for weeks. Something about a cat, dog and goose. Should be adorable. |
 |
| This kid cracks me up. |
 |
| While Sissy's at school, she likes to play with all her stuff :-) |
 |
| We went to a Frozen themed birthday party last week. Super fun. |
 |
| A little before Christmas, I finally quit making Leyton 'rest her body' after school. She would very rarely actually nap, and when she did, she would be in a horrible mood the rest of the day and have trouble going to sleep at night. Still, I would put her in her room for an hour or so, just to get a little time to myself while Ellis napped. She was starting to get disruptive up there, climbing bookshelves and overturning furniture, so now I let her stay awake with me. We play outside and she makes some very creative things with our junk mail, scissors, markers and a glue stick. And she chats to herself in Japanese, which makes me happy. Now I actually enjoy our after school time together. She can be a really sweet kid -when she wants to be. |
No comments:
Post a Comment