We are totally counting down the days until Daddy gets home. Though I haven't circled the date on a calendar. If my 10 years as a Navy spouse has taught me anything, it's that cruise dates are ALWAYS subject to change. But he's coming home soon, just not sure how soon.
The girls and I have been keeping ourselves busy. Last week Ellis had an interview with Hosen (Leyton's kindergarten) to see if she would be ready to start next semester (in April). I personally thought she did terrible. She cried when they took her away for mock classroom time, though most of the kids did, and she came back smiling. Then she wouldn't sit still for the interview with the teacher and she wouldn't answer the questions the teacher asked her. Despite all that, they want her to come for a couple of trial days next year, in January and February. Then they will make the final decision. I was very surprised that they offered this. I assumed Hosen would not let her in until she turned three next September. I think perhaps they are just being polite by giving her a few chances to make the early cut. The Japanese have interesting customs on politeness, one of which is that's it's rude to come right out and say what you want to say. Instead, they talk all in circles before finally reaching their point. So I am not sure if they will actually let her start that early or not. If they do, I feel sorry for her sensei. And I know they won't let her in until she is potty trained, so we will have to revisit that again very soon. I would love for them both to go to school and be able to speak Nihongo to each other.
As I mentioned last post, Leyton's Japanese is better than I expected. She will toss out phrases all the time and is getting better and better at answering my quizzes on 'how do you say ____ in Japanese.' She also randomly turns English words into Japanese. Japanese words only end in a vowel or 'n'. She will say words like 'ice creamu' and 'cupu.' Totally rocking the Japenglish.
It's true the last true 'Fall' season I had was in 2010, when I had a newborn and therefore don't really recall much of anything other than being so tired. So really 2009, which is 5 years ago in Memphis, is the last Fall I recall. But I really thought it would be sooner. The leaves are just now really starting to be beautiful here. The cherry blossom groves are a lovely orange and it makes me very happy to walk or drive by and watch the leaves scatter. Below are a few pictures I tried to take of the girls at the park the weekend before Halloween. You will notice it's still nice and green.
| I tried and failed to get a picture of both girls just looking at the camera, much less both smiling. |
| Maybe we can try again for another photo this weekend |



No comments:
Post a Comment